Swimming as a sport and also as a recreation has a lot of benefits. It helps in burning a lot of calories; it helps us in building muscular strength, reduces weight, gives endurance and also develops cardio vascular fitness. It is a game for all ages and also helps us to cool in the summer days.
As suggested by the earlier cave paintings, this recreational sport dates back several millennia. The Bible, The Quran, Beowulf, The Odyssey and The Lliad are some of the earliest references to swimming. It is said that Colymbetes by Nicolas Wynman written in 1538 was the first book about swimming. Later in 1587 De Arte Nantandi by Everald Digby was published in Latin.
In the 1830s, swimming began to take pace in England. St. George’s Bath, the first indoor swimming pool was opened in 1828. Organized swimming started to grow with instances like the Amateur Swimming Association in 1886. By the 20th Century, Swimming had become very popular and today it is the 2nd most popular sport in the United States. Many people like to visit swimming clubs for fun and time out and people who can afford luxury, have made pools in their backyard or even inside their home.
Celiene Dion’s Jupiter Island Pool
There are different styles of swimming, namely –
BUTTERFLY – A difficult stroke like the Breaststroke and not to be done by beginners.
CRAWL (FREESTYLE) – An easier stroke and can be done by beginners.
THE ACCESSORIES YOU NEED FOR SWIMMING –
- SWIMSUITS – They are made from special fibers to minimize the resistance of the water and they last long even when used in chlorinated pools. Everyday clothing is not good for swimming for various reasons as it is impractical and unsafe for certain places. Men’s’ swimsuits are usually brief or shorts. Whereas girls swimsuits may vary from bikini’s to full body cover.
- GOGGLES – Although optional in common places but a must in professional sporting events.
They protect your eyes underwater and reduce the strain of keeping your eyes open at all times.
- EAR PLUGS – They prevent water from entering your ear and relieve us from that discomfort.
- BATHING CAPS – They keep our hair dry and safe from the water.
- NOSE CLIPS – Prevents water from entering the nose but it is generally used in recreational swimming and synchronized swimming.
- KICKBOARDS- While exercising the lower body helps to keep the upper body afloat.
- PUL BUOYS – While exercising the upper body, helps to keep the lower body afloat.
- SWIM FINS – Improves technique, speed and elongates kick. Also develops calf muscles.
- HAND PADDLERS – Improves resistance while arm movements and builds power and improves technique.
BENEFITS OF SWIMMING –
Swimming is a very beneficial sport. Here are a few of the benefits –
- TONES MUSCLE.
- FORCES ONE TO WORK ON HIS BREATHING.
- LONGER WORKOUTS WITH LESS STRESS ON BODY.
- MAKES US FLEXIBLE.
- MENTAL HARMONY.
SO, TAKE YOUR FRIENDS THIS SUMMER AND ENJOY SWIMMING.