Playnlive.com is thankful to you for taking out time to give this interview. We have tried to cover most parts of your journey within these 5 questions.
- What age did you start playing badminton? How did your parents support you in taking up this sport professionally?
ANSWER: I started playing badminton at the age of 10. Well, I was an athlete before I took badminton very seriously. My events was 100m and 200m. and I used to play badminton just for fun with my father. And I liked the sport very much and started taking part in the tournament. One day my 100m final and my U-13 singles final was at the same time. So, my parents decided to leave 100m and play the final of singles. And I did so, and lost the finals. And if I would have ran the 100m I would have won it easily. But you know, failure is the first step of success.. And from then on I just continued with badminton. It was my parents decision so I get full support from my family.
- Having broken into the top 50 in world badminton rankings, you must have faced a lot many challenges in your way. Tell us about your journey.
ANSWER: Its been ups and down in this season so far. My best performance was to play Quartefinal in India Open Super Series. Then I played semifinal in Polish Open. Won Bahrain Open Last year, and some good performances in international tournaments which lead me to break into top 50.
- As a coach, what changes has Pullela Gopichand brought to your game?
ANSWER: Gopi sir is a great human being and an excellent coach india has ever produced. I feel very lucky to be his student. As an athletic background I have a good speed on court, But used to lack in strength, so he worked on me regarding my strength, my strokes, my fitness and everything. And it changed my whole game. Now my plus point in my game is my smash. And its all because of my coach.
- Badminton is getting a lot of media coverage and it is a sport in which India is challenging the world. With the advent of IBL, the sport is poised to grow to the next level. How has been your experience so far playing for Delhi Smashers in IBL?
ANSWER: IBL is the best thing has ever happened to Indian badminton. It’s a great event and very helpful for the Indian shuttlers. I had a very good experience in IBL got to learn a lot from the world class players. And because of the IBL the Indian Badminton is grown to the next level. And The media coverage badminton is getting right now is awesome.
- Any thoughts for the aspiring players? We are certain that your words will have huge motivational effect.
ANSWER: I just want to say that there are no shortcuts to the success. You just need to work harder and harder every single day. And I am very sure that one day will sure come where you will see yourself standing on the podium and singing our national anthem. Just believe in yourself.
[Note : From the archives]