Since childhood I was involved in various sports; traditional sports like cricket, football as well as non- traditional sports like badminton, skating and kho-kho. I always wanted to come across as the fittest amongst my friends. I represented my school in almost all of these sports at various events across schools. Back then all this meant nothing more than fun.
During my later years academics occupied a lot of my time but sports was always in the frame. I was involved in one or the other physical activity but the prime focus was to relieve stress and get my mind off books. I have played some sports for over two decade now and my love for them has not fluctuated in all these years. What I didn’t know is that all this is some or the other type of workout.
Everyone is involved in sports as a child but our involvement in sports drops with age due to increasing responsibility at home and work. People usually relate to working out as going to the gym, running or cycling etc. So don’t worry if you cannot take out time for other activities from your busy schedule. You will find below various other types of activities from your daily life which you probably never noticed before but are as good as a healthy workout.
- Push the baby in a stroller.
- Clean your house or wash your car.
- Pedal a stationary bike while watching television.
- Walk your dog.
- Play with the kids in your house.
- Dance with your family on your favorite music.
- Replace a coffee break with a brisk 10-minute walk.
- Take stairs instead of lift.
- Go for 10 minute walk with your colleagues after lunch.
- Get involved in activities not related to work.
Remember to get involved in activities that give you joy. Don’t join gym or buy a cycle under someone’s pressure. Your body and mind have to be at peace when you are involved in an activity. Stay fit!